Contact Us for a Free Consultation 414.377.0515


Errors on Your Credit Report? Here's How to Fight Back with a Dispute

Posted by Nathan DeLadurantey | Jun 07, 2024

Uh oh, you spot a mistake on your credit report. Don't panic! Inaccuracies can happen, but luckily, you have the right to fight back. Here's a breakdown of the steps to take to file a dispute on your credit report and get things straightened out.

Gather Your Evidence

Before you begin, collect any documentation that supports your claim. This could include:

  • Bills or receipts showing you paid an account in question.
  • Correspondence with creditors disputing the information.
  • Proof of identity theft (if applicable).

Identify the Bureau with the Error

There are three major credit reporting bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You can obtain a free copy of your credit report from each bureau annually at Annual Credit Report. Each bureau has its own process for filing disputes.

Choose Your Dispute Method

  • Online: Most bureaus offer online dispute forms for quick and easy submissions.
  • By Mail: You can download a dispute form from the bureau's website and mail it in with your supporting documents.
  • By Phone: Call the bureau's customer service line to initiate a dispute over the phone.

Crafting Your Dispute

  • Be Clear and Concise: Briefly explain the error you're disputing and why you believe it's inaccurate.
  • Include Details: Mention specific account information, dates, and any relevant facts supporting your claim.
  • Attach Documentation: Don't forget to include copies (not originals) of your supporting documents.

Following Up

The credit bureau has a legal obligation to investigate your dispute within 30 days (usually less). They will contact you with the results, which may include:

  • Information Verified: If the investigation confirms the accuracy of the information, you'll receive an explanation.
  • Information Deleted: If the bureau finds the information is inaccurate, they will remove it from your report and notify the creditor who provided the information.
  • Information Marked as Disputed: If the results are inconclusive, the disputed information will remain on your report with a note indicating you disagree.

Dispute Rejected? Don't Give Up!

If you disagree with the bureau's findings, you have the right to request a reinvestigation. You can also submit a statement explaining your position, which will be included in your credit report.

Consider Professional Help

For complex disputes or if you're feeling overwhelmed, consider seeking guidance from a credit repair specialist or an attorney.


  • You can dispute errors on your credit report with all three bureaus.
  • Filing a dispute is free.
  • Keep copies of all correspondence related to your dispute.

By following these steps and staying persistent, you can get the errors on your credit report corrected and improve your overall credit health.

Attorney Nathan DeLadurantey offers free consultations to explain your legal rights in Wisconsin. Free consultations can be scheduled online. 

About the Author

Nathan DeLadurantey

Nathan DeLadurantey ATTORNEY [email protected] Nathan is a skilled consumer lawyer who handles cases and trials all over Wisconsin. Phone consultations are always free and welcomed. Nathan has helped clients receive large jury verdicts and settlements stemming from consumer law violations, and is ready and able to assist.


The DeLadurantey Law Office, LLC is committed to answering your questions about Vehicle Repo's, Credit Report/Identity Theft, Auto Fraud, and Debt Collection Abuse law issues in Wisconsin.

We offer free consultation and look forward to discussing your case. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

DeLadurantey Law Office, LLC
Mon: 08:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:00am - 05:00pm